all butter pie crust
Makes a single 9" pie crust
INGREDIENTS BAKERS' %
All Purpose Flour 100% Confectioners Sugar 3% Salt 2% Butter (unsalted, cold) 84% Ice Water 39%
MASS (g) VOLUME
175 g 1 ½ c 5.2 g 2 tsp 3.5 g ½ tsp & a pinch 147 g 1 stick plus 2 T 68.7 g 1/3 c less 1 tsp
1. Into the bowl or food processor in which you will make the dough, measure and mix the dry ingredients. Cut the butter into lima bean size pieces and put on top of the dry ingredients. Cover and place in the freezer for at least 20 minutes (you want the butter to be stiff but not actually frozen).
2. Rub the butter into the dry ingredients, leaving a third of the butter in larger pieces. Make a well in the middle of the mixture and add almost all of your ice water. Quickly mix and press together, adding more water a bit at a time until the dough starts to come together, there should be crumbly bits that are not yet part of the ball of dough. If using a food processor, remove a third of the butter pieces and set them aside, pulse together until the mixture forms pea-size pieces. Add back the last third of butter and slowly add ice water, pulsing until the dough just comes together. It should be moist, but not wet, there should be some crumbly bits that don't form into the ball of dough.
3. Turn dough out onto plastic wrap and press it into a ball by folding/kneading it over itself and incorporating all the loose crumbs. Flatten into a disk with the heel of your hand. Wrap tightly and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 2 days.
Bakers Tips: Before adding the water to the butter/flour mixture, freeze for 5 – 10 minutes. Cold dough that’s not over-mixed is how you obtain a flaky crust!
Keep extra ice water on hand when mixing - you will often need to add a bit more than the recipe to bring your dough together.
Use as little flour as possible when rolling out the crust, keep it moving and work quickly.
Before you cut the crust to the size of your pie tin, let it rest for 20-30 minutes in the refrigerator, covered, to relax.
Baguette with Freshly Milled Flour
INGREDIENTS BAKERS' %
Bread Flour 100%
Dry Yeast 0.3%
1. Combine fresh flour and water. Leave a small amount of water to combine with salt and yeast.
2. With your hands or a small scraper, mix together all ingredients until completely combined. Pinch dough together to mix any dry spots. Dough should be shaggy.
3. Dough temperature should be 72 -74°F.
4. Let dough rest for 20 minutes and then fold. Fold the dough 1-2 more times in 20-30 minute increments.
5. Ferment the dough for 2-3 hours.
6. After the dough is done fermenting, divide the dough into 12 oz or 350 g.
7. Shape dough into a loose log and let rest for 25-30 minutes.
8. Shape into baguettes or batard.
9. Let the shaped loaves proof for 45-60 minutes.
10. Score the dough and bake at 500°F on a stone. Add water to the oven for steam.
11. After 5 minutes lower the oven temperature to 450°F. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes. For the last five minutes, bake with the oven door open.
WHOLE WHEAT STARTER CARE & TABLE LOAF RECIPE
TO KEEP STARTER ALIVE:
1. Feed 2x/day. Feeding means to combine the above components in the indicated percentages or weights. Simply take 10 g of starter from the most recent "new starter" or original starter from market (this is your "stiff WW starter").
2. Keep at room temperature - if kept in refrigerator, feed 2x/week to maintain
3. Three days prior to baking, start 2x/day feeding regimen.
1. WW Starter & Levain - DDT (85°F) for 12-16 hours at room temperature.
2. Incorporate all ingredients for 3 minutes on first speed in mixer.
3. Mix on second speed for 4 minutes or by hand slapping and folding technique for 8-10 minutes.
4. DDT-82°F summer/86°F winter & bulk 2-3 hours.
5. Fold at 30 minutes and 60 minutes if necessary.
6. Divide, pre-shape into light rounds for 30-40 minutes, then shape into baskets.
7. Refrigerate 10-18 hours.
8. Bake at 500°F for 20 minutes, then at 430°F for 25-35 minutes.
WHOLE WHEAT STARTER
Desired dough temperature (DDT) 78-86°F.
INGREDIENTS BAKERS' % MASS (g)
WW Flour 100 100
Water 72 72
Stiff WW Starter 10 10
NEW STARTER 182% 182 g