Irish Oat Bread
Makes 2 loaves
Bread Flour 329 g
Rye Flour 38 g
Levain 129 g
Water 335 g
Cooked Oats 71 g
Soaked Currants 53 g
Sea Salt 8 g
1. Soak the oats in honey water and currants in 2 GINGERS Whiskey overnight. The following morning, cook the oats until chewy and let cool to room temperature.
2. Using a spiral mixer, mix flour, water, levain, and salt for 5 minutes on first speed.
3. Continue mixing for an additional 4 minutes on second speed.
4. Incorporate oats and currants on first speed.
5. Let the dough rest for 20 minutes and then fold. Fold a total of three times in 20 minute increments.
6. Ferment the dough for 2-3 hours. Once the dough is buoyant, divide and loosely shape the dough into two 1 pound balls. Let rest for 30 - 45 minutes. Shape into a ball again.
7. Let the dough proof at room temperature for 3 - 4 hours or overnight in the fridge.
8. Score the loaves and bake at 500 degrees on a stone. Add water to the oven for steam.
9. After 5 minutes lower the oven temperature to 450 degrees. Bake for an additional 20 - 25 minutes. For the last five minutes, bake with the oven door open.
Baguette with Freshly Milled Flour
Bread Flour – 100%
Water – 80%
Salt – 1.8%
Dry Yeast - .3%
1. Combine fresh flour and water. Leave a small amount of water to combine with salt and yeast.
2. With your hands or a small scraper, mix together all ingredients until completely combined. Pinch dough together to mix any dry spots. Dough should be shaggy.
3. Dough temperature should be 72 -74 degrees.
4. Let dough rest for 20 minutes and then fold. Fold the dough 1-2 more times in 20-30 minute increments.
5. Ferment the dough for 2-3 hours
6. After the dough is done fermenting, divide the dough into 12oz or 350g
7. Shape dough into a loose log and let rest for 25-30 minutes.
8. Shape into baguettes or batard.
9. Let the shaped loaves proof for 45 minutes – hour.
10. Score the dough and bake at 500 degrees on a stone. Add water to the oven for steam.
11. After 5 minutes lower the oven temperature to 450 degrees. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes. For the last five minutes, bake with the oven door open.